Current:Home > NewsJohnathan Walker:John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -Wealth Legacy Solutions
Johnathan Walker:John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:41:56
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry,Johnathan Walker and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (62)
Related
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- 15 states sue to block Biden’s effort to help migrants in US illegally get health coverage
- Taylor Swift cancels Vienna Eras tour concerts after two arrested in alleged terror plot
- Today Only! Save Up to 76% on Old Navy Bottoms – Jeans, Pants, Skirts & More Starting at $6
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Older pilots with unmatchable experience are key to the US aerial firefighting fleet
- Jelly Roll’s Wife Bunnie XO Faced “Death Scare” After Misdiagnosed Aneurysm
- Elle King opens up about Dolly Parton, drunken Opry performance: 'I'm still not OK'
- New Zealand official reverses visa refusal for US conservative influencer Candace Owens
- Fewer Americans file for jobless benefits last week, but applications remain slightly elevated
Ranking
- Travis Hunter, the 2
- The 10 college football transfers that will have the biggest impact
- Morocco topples Egypt 6-0 to win Olympic men’s soccer bronze medal
- Protesters rally outside Bulgarian parliament to denounce ban on LGBTQ+ ‘propaganda’ in schools
- Krispy Kreme offers a free dozen Grinch green doughnuts: When to get the deal
- Colin Jost abruptly exits Olympics correspondent gig
- Fire destroys landmark paper company factory in southwestern Ohio
- Trump heads to Montana in a bid to oust Sen. Tester after failing to topple the Democrat in 2018
Recommendation
DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
Julianne Moore’s Son Caleb Freundlich Engaged to Kibriyaá Morgan
Fire destroys landmark paper company factory in southwestern Ohio
A win for the Harris-Walz ticket would also mean the country’s first Native American female governor
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Fire destroys landmark paper company factory in southwestern Ohio
Alabama man faces a third murder charge in Oklahoma
Christian Coleman, delayed by ban, finally gets shot at Olympic medal